We all love movies. As a matter of fact, some of us love them so much that we try our hand at making them! If you're looking to make your first indie flick, read these essential directing a movie tips before getting started! Read more →
What Can You Expect To Find At May’s London MCM Expo?
The time has finally come for the London MCM Expo 2013, and this year promises to be packed with gaming, television, cosplay and much more. Run twice a year, the May London Comic Con will be happening this weekend, 24th-26th May, and luckily you can still purchase your Early Bird tickets from the London MCM website. Tickets become more expensive on the day, and generally you’ll have to wait longer to get into the event. So why exactly should you give up some of your time this weekend? Here are just a few reasons why you should head to the MCM Expo.
1. MCM London Comic Con is hosting the UK’s largest fighting tournament.
London MCM have teamed up with Razer and the European Gaming League (EGL) to host the Razer Fighting Championships. This tournament will be running the 25th and 26th May 2013 at the London MCM Expo and is set to feature both Street Fighter IV and Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3. As for prizes there is the opportunity to win over £2000 in prize money across the two tournaments. The winner of each tournament will also be walking away with an all-expenses paid trip to the Video X Games in Saint Maarten in the Caribbean to compete there for a further $28,000 (£18,590 approximately) prize. Sounds good, doesn’t it? Super Street Fighter IV is set to happen on the 25th, with the Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 tournament taking place on the 26th. Even if you’re not competing it should be a pretty good show.
2. An exclusive chance to be the among the first to play the new Deadpool game. A first-of-a-kind event worldwide!
You read that correctly. This year, the London MCM is offering you the exclusive first chance to play Deadpool, Activision’s take on Marvel’s iconic anti-hero. According to the publisher you will get the chance to see two levels of the game, as well as a host of other goodies:
- Everyone who plays the game will get a free Deadpool poster with artwork that was created just for this event.
- Everyone who pre-orders Deadpool from GAME at the Activision stand will bag themselves an exclusive Deadpool t shirt (while stocks last)
- At 2pm on the afternoon of the show, Activision will be giving away 1000 Deadpool masks.
- You can also get your picture taken against the Deadpool photo wall. Tweeting this picture with the hashtag #DeadpoolGame gives you the chance the win a copy of the game (one lucky winner will be picked out on each day of the show!).
Deadpool is set to be released on Xbox 360, Playstation 3 and PC on the 28th June, so having the chance to play it now is pretty awesome. It really makes me jealous that I can’t make the show now (both for the games and the freebies!)
3. The semi-finals and finals of the League of Legends Tournament
League of Legends seems to have exploded in the past year, quickly gaining popularity. It’s that popular, in fact, that this weekend will see the semi-finals and finals of the League of Legends Tournament reaching the MCM. Mad Catz, gaming gear and computer peripherals manufacturer, will be sponsoring it, providing the cash pot of €500, €3250 worth of RP and a selection of epic Mad Catz prizes that four teams will be fighting over.
Whether you’re a fan of the game, the teams or just plain curious, it will definitely be something to watch. The four teams that will be battling for the League of Legends Cup are:
- Team Dignitas UK (formerly Team British Tea Time)
- Circle Attack
- Chaog Legions
- British Coffee Time (formerly Beasts Multigaming)
If you want to know more about the tournament you can check out the MCM Expo website.
4. The Last of Us directors and stars host an exclusive sneak peek panel.
The Directors and stars of Naughty Dog’s award-winning game, The Last of Us, will be holding a sneak peek panel at midday on Saturday 25th May. Ashley Johnson (who voices Ellie), Game Director Bruce Straley and Creative Director Neil Druckmann will all be there to answer questions, as well as show a trailer and live demo of the game. They’re also signing autographs, so make sure you get your seat early!
As well as all of these, there will be a whole host of other events, including:
- Metro: Last Night demo with 4A Games
- Resident Evil: Revelations demo
- The GRID 2 Checkpoint Challenge
- Lost Planet 3 Demo
- Signings from celebrities like Jason Flemyng, Camilla Luddington and Alexander Vlahos.
- The Cosplay Masquerade and many many cosplay-based events and shows
Hopefully this will have convinced you to buy your tickets and enjoy your weekend immersed in the comics, games, film and cosplay culture that will be taking over London. Remember, early bird tickets are available until the actual event, but you can still grab yourself a ticket if you decide to go down on the day. Planning on going to the show now?