Have you read the news lately? Then you know just how crazy people can be. Every day there’s another story Read more →
13 Random Gaming Thoughts
Lately, I’ve been thinking a lot about the gaming industry (well duh, I write about it). The problem with all of these thoughts is that none of them are complex or nuanced enough to get a whole story out of. If you were ever interested in what goes on in my head, here you go. Hopefully this doesn’t come across as mindless drivel.
1. Do all plumbers have hats? Or overalls? I never knew why Mario has this very specific costume. Then again, I don’t think I’ve ever actually met a plumber in real life.
2. Am I the only one who could never really get into the Elder Scrolls games, despite the fact that they always look so awesome on paper?
3. Nolan North does too much voice acting in the industry, I’m beginning to hear Nathan Drake in every game and it’s throwing me off a bit.
4. I thought about buying the new Need for Speed, as it looked a lot like Burnout: Paradise. Instead, I just started playing through Burnout for the third time. I think I made the right choice.
5. To elaborate on the previous point, Burnout: Paradise is probably my favorite racing game of all time, and still holds up today. I actually can’t think of anything wrong with it.
6. Where is Psychonauts 2? That game needs a Kickstarter page.
7. I really don’t need another generation of consoles right now, maybe it’s just me, but I can’t really think of anything new to put into a system, besides more motion control options.
8. I absolutely hate motion control. Maybe I’m just lazy, but if I wanted to get some exercise playing video games, I wouldn’t play video games. I’d just take them out of the equation. I would go outside, or go to a gym, and actually exercise like a normal person. Also, people always say “You feel more immersed in the game!”. No. You do not. If that was the case, I would come back from a round on Madden on Wii with bruises all over me and need to get my ankles taped.
9. Speaking of Kickstarter, it seems like developers could make a more money eliminating the middleman and getting their capital through Kickstarter. Of course, there is also probably a lot of opportunities for corruption, so to all the developers, don’t screw this up, please? Kickstarter could be the only way I get Psychonauts 2.
10. For an industry that has matured a lot over the years, gaming still doesn’t have enough rockstar personalities or celebrated developers like the movie stars and respected authors in film and literature, respectively.
11. I appreciate the mobile gaming “phenomenon”, but I’ve given them up. If there was one sole thing that could torpedo my productivity, it would be having access to Tiny Wings on a regular basis.
12. When is gaming going to get a legitimate awards show? And don’t tell me the VGAs are a legitimate award show. They’re on Spike.
13. While the end of X-Play is sad, I never really watched it, and never really thought it worked. Gaming coverage belongs on the internet, on sites like Leviathyn.
I know I’m not the only one with a head full of random and (hopefully) interesting thoughts on the gaming industry. Share your thoughts in the comments below!