Goats: they are the monstrous creatures that haunt the worlds we explore, the nightmarish devils that populate numerous virtual hells,
17 Random Thoughts About Movies
Recently, I wrote about my random thoughts concerning the gaming industry. I kind of liked that piece. Luckily for all of you, I think about other things as well. Like movies, for instance.
1. Sometimes I feel like all of the people who decide the Academy Awards feel just like me; they say a movie is good because they think it has some deep comment about society, not because they actually enjoyed watching it.
2. And that’s why The Master will win too many Oscars (too many being any Oscars in this case).
3. Speaking of the Oscars, I sometimes wonder what these awards even mean. What makes a movie the “Best Picture”. Does “best” mean most enjoyable, most important, most poignant, most Oscar hype, or what?
4. Sometimes I watch a relatively old movie and I wonder how I could have lived without it. This year, it was The Shawshank Redemption.
5. At this point, I’m going to watch any movie with Morgan Freeman in it.
6. Les Misérables is a great movie, but it really didn’t do much more than the play. There wasn’t exactly a lot of creativity going into the movie; they didn’t change very much. Of course, this isn’t a bad thing.
7. I love Tarantino’s random music choices in Django Unchained. You wouldn’t think of hardcore rap in a western, but now I don’t know how I can watch another western without hearing “100 Black Coffins” in the background.
8. As often as Django Unchained is inexplicable, it is also poignant and incredibly effective in showing the horrors of slavery.
9. While Skyfall is a great movie, I still prefer Casino Royale.
10. I feel like everyone in the film industry has caught up to Christopher Nolan; it seems like every villain in big-budget action movies shares the brutal, yet casual demeanor of the Joker. I’m not really sure how I feel about this.
11. The next several thoughts will be complaints about The Hobbit. You’ve been warned.
12. Man, The Hobbit was so disappointing.
13. Among the things wrong with this movie: too cartoony, too long, few recognizable characters, should have been one movie not three, too long.
14. Honestly, the only parts of The Hobbit that I enjoyed were recycled from Lord of the Rings.
15. I LOVE the Lord of the Rings soundtrack by Howard Shore, but Shore’s soundtrack for The Hobbit was as mediocre as the movie.
16. While Zero Dark Thirty is technically coming out in 2013, I haven’t been more excited for a movie since the Dark Knight Rises.
17. Thank god Nolan nailed the end of that movie.
Feel free to share your own random thoughts about movies in the comments below.